Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm Watching You.....

Don't fear the adult content button. Just a lame attempt at deterring anyone who may want to view this blog with malicious plans...and besides, my mind can't exactly be trusted with young ones. >:D

I had one of those moments today. Like when you're out shopping and stumble across a guy that's some 20 yards or so ahead, and he turns out to be the kind that makes you have to say "Holy shitttt..." out loud. Yeah...not gonna lie, I did that. But inside, I'm saying to myself, damn I hate attractive men. Because 1) I have zero chances, particularly when I'm in Walmart with my parents in a town I don't even live in, and 2) He just looks too damn lickable.

Yes, I said it. LICKABLE.

So I resort to covertly keeping an eye out for him. Unfortunately, I'm not the creeper type that will resort to following him around the store. So it was pretty much when we first entered, and then when we went to the checkout line that I saw the dude. I nearly tripped over myself once when he came up behind us and was walking off somewhere. Wasn't expecting him to be that damn close....grawr.

In other news, I picked up my quilt from the quilters today! I'm officially one step closer to having an entirely completed quilt now. Last step is to put on the binding, where it will look something like this:


I'm pretty excited to get it finished--I'll be even more happy/lucky if I can get the binding on BEFORE we leave for Iowa City, even. :O

What else....I'm having problems trying to finish Hard and Fast. It's a great book, and I really like the author...but damn, I end up stopping every time I come across an inaccuracy/similarity. In the case of similarity, I don't really know what to think when I come across a novel set in the stock car racing world and has a character by the name of Bodine...in the real racing world, Bodine's a pretty well-known family--albeit they're not the greatest racers ever. I used to hate them, actually. Ugh....it also doesn't help when the author uses names like Jimmie and Kyle as filler names in the novels. Jimmie and Kyle is blasphemous, BLASPHEMOUS! Gawd, now I can't believe I tainted my own blog with the name Kyle...

This isn't the first time the similarity thing hasn't passed my attention, though. In Pamela Britton's first racing themed novel (before the Nascar logo began gracing her covers, mind you), she actually had a character who was a widow of a driver. Well, the driver's name was Randy Newman. Very similar to Ryan Newman, who's legit. o.O Truthfully, I think this might've been a small reason why Britton changed the character's last name to Newell after that.

Now for the inaccuracy. Inaccuracies don't bother me too much usually, I mean what I'm reading is a fiction book. I think what bothers me the most is when the lines cross between fiction and truth, because there are times where an author will forget that there's a distinct difference. For instance, Hard and Fast has an extremely watered down version of what is the history of stock car racing. Because it's hard to describe in other terms, the quote about the history says, "...stock car racing got its start from guys taking a car they could buy at any dealer, tricking out the engine, then racing it on the beach initially..." Uhh, okay...if you want the less-than-retarded version of the truth. In reality, stock car racing got its start from moonshiners. Bootleggers! Not dudes going out there and buying cars just to trick them out and race them on the beach. They were guys trying to distribute what was illegal or untaxed alcohol, and unless you wanted to get thrown into jail by the police, you had to make sure your car ran faster than the cops. Therefore, souping up the engines was the way to go. That was when feature races began cropping up where the drivers could earn some money and show off their supercars. In a way, the part about racing on the beach is true. Daytona Beach was actually famous for speed long before the paved International Speedway cropped up. But Daytona was known for record-breaking land speed records. Not necessarily stock car racing.

I know, it's a fictional book, but come on...the author tries so hard to be accurate, you can really tell, but it just doesn't work...It's sad to say, but Roxanne St. Claire and Pamela Britton both had more accurate stock car racing novels than Erin McCarthy's...at least that was my interpretation. Maybe I'm just biased because McCarthy tries to slip in that apparently the wives or serious girlfriends get to go up on this stage with the drivers and how they all stand there on the stage for introductions blah blah....I get freaking confused. Dude, if this really is the introduction stage, there won't be any women joining the drivers unless the driver is a woman herself. Nor do they stay up there. AND, why the hell do you make the families/women have tickets to watch the races?! Families and spouses watch from the motorcoaches, or from the pitbox. No tickets or press booth necessary.

Grawr...okay, I'm done ranting. I'm behind on Shaycarl and PhillyD videos, then off to bed. :3

No comments:

Post a Comment