I have a horrible love affair for Matt Bomer. But that's not really a secret, now is it? But anyway, with this love affair comes a love for most anything that USA Network will put out. I grew up watching Monk reruns for years, and now cannot get enough of White Collar and Psych. So of course, I'm a little giddy when I see an article that agrees with my perspective of USA awesomeness.
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/revealed-how-to-make-a-hit-usa-network-series--1385
Well, at least I'll agree with most of it. So, what do they say makes a worthy USA show?
Cast Beautiful People as Your Stars
Ok, not gonna lie, this one's actually pretty true...right up until I look into the face of that guy on Burn Notice. Speaking of which, his female counterpart isn't much to look at, either, in my opinion. Royal Pains? Not much for that dude, either. Mostly I'm partial to my Matt Bomer...ahhh...but anyhow. I guess this is appropriate for the more recent shows, but if they threw Monk into the mix? Honestly, I don't think many would look at Tony Shaloub and scream SEX APPEAL....so there has to be more than smexy Matt Bomers in every show. :P
Make Them the Best at What They Do
I have no objections to that. The way I see it, if this is a fictional show, then why can't there be a little bit of perfection to their line of work? We want to see how they get out of sticky situations! And if it happens to be being the best at being amateur detectives, then...sweet!
...Then Have Them Pretend to Be Other People
Con man in White Collar? Yes. Witness protection in In Plain Sight? Yes. Whatever the hell is going on in Burn Notice? Yes. Uh.....Psych? I don't really think they apply, but OK. I think the fake names are meant to add awesome hilarity to the situations. I mean really, does anyone think that John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt is going to be a suitable pretend person? :P
Give Them a Sexy Partner of the Opposite Sex
Mehhh. The opposite sex is almost always a woman. And when they aren't women, they aren't much to look at. And besides, how many of these does it actually apply to? In Psych, O'Hara isn't exactly the obvious sexy opposite partner....does White Collar even have an opposite sex partner? Maybe it'd be Peter's wife, but I don't think so...anyone on the whole FBI team thing just doesn't seem to stand out enough as an obvious partner...Kate? Who we so very rarely see but hear about all the time? The Kate who looks like she could be Peter's wife's sister/daughter? Yeah, the similarities are just that close...but in a good way. Makes me like Kate a little more, lol. Monk would easily fall under this one with Natalie, but otherwise, meh.
Fill Out the Cast With Familiar Faces
Of course! Let's put Sharon Gless on Burn Notice! Sigh.....it's a technique they put on so many shows, I don't think this one makes it stick out much. Just look at Mark Harmon and all of the shows he's done (although he doesn't really pertain to this whole deal. I just like mentioning him). Then there's the real old veterans, like Kevin Tighe on a few episodes of LOST. In all honesty, the people that are watching these shows probably have no idea what all the other actors/actresses were even on before that show. But they are a nice touch.
Set It in a Scenic Locale
Dude. Manhattan isn't exactly scenic, nor all that gorgeous to look at. Even from the sky. Miami, sure. But I don't exactly watch White Collar for the pretty scenery. If you want pretty scenery, set it in the Black Hills sometime. Kthxbai. ;)
Gunplay, Gunplay, Gunplay
All right, that one's fine. We must have MAYHEM! Solving murders is fun and all, but there's got to be just a little more adventure in it. Just sayin'. :3
Find Your Season-Long Story Arc
YES. This one is critical. It's all part of the writing; what's the point of watching a show that doesn't wrap itself up before its season hiatus? It's one thing to have a story that is left in a cliffhanger for months and months like LOST, but they had to do a crazy amount of wrapping up in their final episodes. And people have to admit, it didn't turn out wrapped up in a cutesy clean finished bow. But with USA, they know how to create a story that has an ending, and a satisfying ending at that. With Monk, they couldn't have ended the entire show in a better fashion, and that is largely because they didn't have many holes to fill from previous seasons.
Keep It Light and Humorous
YES. YES. FUCK YES. This one is even more critical than the previous point! And this one ties in again with the writers--in order to make these shows worthwhile, they can't be heavy on the drama or attitude. Lighten up! Psych has so many hilarious moments, and White Collar has some awesome moments of dialogue that just make me have to giggle. Even Monk, with its poignant story lines and sad situations, they really knew how to incorporate the humorous parts. Humor mixed with drama, it can't get much better than that. And makes it much more worth my time. :P
Well, now it makes a ton more sense as to why I love Psych & White Collar! I think....mmmm, Matt Bomer... :3
No comments:
Post a Comment