Flipping through my freshman yearbook, it's amazing to see how often Liz appeared in it--one photo from Spanish Club, another of her with a friend in Peru over the summer. Looking back, I guess ti's no surprise that she felt her calling was International Studies.
To me, she was that face I might run into in the hallways from time to time. I was only a freshman in high school, so as soon as we'd get to know those upperclassmen, they had already up and graduated.
I crossed paths with Liz again, this time through church. Our church is a tight-knit community, and even though her family moved on to greater places, they left a positive impression. I can look back at our old church directory and recognize their faces instantly.
My neighbors back at home were even familiar with her and her mother.
Our lives crisscrossed multiple times, and yet I never really got to know her.
But who says you have to know someone to make an impact? She may have been just another classmate, but in a small way, a simple smile from her or a casual conversation can mean something to someone. And with all of her activities through the PSL and Greek Life, she certainly made a difference while here at USD.
Later on Friday night, I heard a familiar Green Day song over the radio:
"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life..."
I hope you had the time of your life..."
I have no doubt that she did.
(Amazing how different my opinion writing differs from blog writing? :P )
No comments:
Post a Comment