Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Venting is Goooooood....

You know, I thought I'd start off with saying that I'm not usually one to complain, but I think I probably do. A lot more than I would admit to. But there is a couple things I want to get off my chest.

It's sad to admit, but at this time, I'm pretty sure everyone hates their job. I know I hate some parts of being a CA, I know many others are feeling stressed by it in some aspect or another, and Hot Canadian Bacon is so stressed to the max that people are rumoring that he's quitting. Which I know for a fact isn't true, because he can't afford it and has nowhere to go basically. Strange/harsh to put it that way, but it's true in a sense. The dorms are the hall directors' homes, and if they want or need a night off, it's nonexistent. Seriously. And I'm not going to lie, but in my opinion, HCB's got the shitty job of trying to juggle shit programming while managing graduate classes, tests, etc etc...and since he's in the graduate business program, it's double the pain. He's got to get either a B or higher in every class or he's out. Arguably, it's just as difficult as law school, if not more difficult. But what do I hear from Kristi about? How hard it is to last through two three-hour classes in a row. Yeah, it's annoying, but let's see you handle HCB's schedule. It's becoming apparent that grad school for adult and higher education isn't nearly as difficult as the business school is turning out to be. Oh yeah, you're also supervising desk work. Easiest job in the world to manage, considering how she doesn't spend half the time that HCB does out here at the desk.

Speaking of which, I turned in an effing time away request Monday night. It's now Wednesday morning, and I've yet to have her sign it. Where the hell was Kristi all of today that she couldn't check her mailbox and sign a tiny piece of paper?! >:/  If you're not going to check your mail regularly, don't give us crap about not getting posters up in a timely fashion...grawr.

My main qualm is the fact that the higher-ups, aka the directors of Student Services just don't know how crazy our schedules are as students as it is. I can gladly show them just how effin' busy my schedule is. I'm just about to believe that my schedule has finally settled down, and BAM we're informed by Kristi that they want us to have weekly dinners with our residents. BULLSHIT. I'm seriously getting sick of the emphasis on having a 'relationship' with our residents, when what they really want is for us to be every resident's best friend. As of now, I've done a pretty effective job of nearly cutting off all my friends from last year, save for when I spontaneously run into them somewhere. I just don't have the time to plan a date with my own friends, much less my residents. Let me put it this way.....

Honors Association is just as shitty as ever. I'm starting to believe no one has even considered tunnel tours this year, which has always been a moneymaker for us. Where's fundraising planning all this? Oh wait, it's not them, right now it's me that's brought up tunnel tours, and reminding them of exec elections, and everything else.......you know, I think that may be a program. Taking kids to tunnel tours. I think that released a small programming bug I've been having....phew. But that still doesn't help entirely, because this is HONORS Association.

There's my second point. I honestly spend a ridiculous amount of time with residents--it's just that not all of them live on MY floor. Because I'm in Honors, I'm friends and/or are familiar with many of Laurel's residents on 2nd Beede. Because I'm an Honors mentor, I've got mentees that not only live on 2nd Beede, but Kayla lives on 1st Mickelson. I've got friends that live on 4th Beede, 1st Olson, 1st Richardson, 3rd Beede...Essentially, I've met and befriended a ton of residents. But they don't technically live on my floor. And even though my residents say they love me, and I chat with them whenever I can, I feel like shit because I'm not able to say that I went to have dinner with them, or that I've done all these events with them, blah blah blah.

Shall I also mention that students are getting busier as the year goes on? To put it simply, even my friend Sarah in 1st Richie has noticed that kids are just so busy that even programs don't look as appealing. And when residents are noticing this, it's just a little bit ridiculous. But are they going to slack off on the programming requirements? Oh hell no. But they should.

Then to top it off, Jeff is leaving by the end of the month reportedly. He's most definitely leaving because of his wife's new job, but as to when, we're only speculating. HCB doesn't know the exact time of when, but I've heard the end of the month. Who knows. Then again, rumors are going effin' nuts this year, it seems. Particularly around HCB, which isn't fair to him. Basically, girls are having just a little too much fun trying to claim they've had a chance at HCB. Which is frustrating for him, because not only is he getting zero action, but he's discovered that his job puts him somewhere between the gray zone of student and staff. He's a staff member, so he can't go out and drink with students. But because he's a student, he can't do the same with staff. Supposedly. And supposedly, that also applies to dating. And simply put, that'd mean he wouldn't be able to date anyone affiliated with USD period. Which is why I say supposedly, because I find that extremely unlikely. Especially when another hall director Dan just now is in a relationship with another grad student, and it's no big deal. Other rumors included him deciding to quit. And even I'm getting tired of hearing the rumors, just because he doesn't deserve all the crap.

If any of them involved me, fuck me now. :/

Mehhh....HCB fed us Totino's again tonight. He also gave me and Dillon a couple bottles of Mexican Coke, because it's epic. Plus I mentioned that I loved the stuff, but can only ever find it at Ace Hardware. So he and hall director Trapper went to Sam's Club and bought a ton. :3

I had a test today, which went well I think. I got an 84 on my Astronomy test, which probably could've gone better. But oh well. I had a lovely conversation with Jeff in the university center about journalism, SDSU, his time at KELO and his experience with multimedia, etc etc. I'm also going to order my Alice costume as soon as I'm done with this post.

Which shall be now. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment